Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Prophet – Amanda Stevens



"Twilight...when greedy, grasping entities drift through into our world, seeking what they could never have again."

Following The KingdomThe Restorer, and prequel, The Abandoned, The Prophet continues with Amelia Gray's adventures in graveyard restoration and romance (both to a lesser extent this time), and explorations of the unseen plane, where ghosts are seen and less material events are happening.

Amelia really caught my attention this time around. I loved her character! During the opening chapters, even her self-talk about rush hour traffic was interesting, and I just wanted to jump into her world, her living room, feeling my own experience through her. Made for a very relaxed and curious read.

Although I didn't find the storyline as frightening as the other novels, I found the topic of African root magic even more interesting.  It reminded me of The Serpent and The Rainbow.

I read a review that complained that Amelia's relationship with John Delvin was a little tiresome this time around. I didn't think so, initially, but even the last lovemaking scene was disappointing in a way. It didn't hold my attention like in the previous novels. I can't pinpoint exactly why.  Maybe I sensed a lack of love from Delvin, a very essential element missing (yet, he was haunted). Or maybe it was just my mood this time around.

Still, this novel was just what I needed on a cold, spring night. I'm so happy to have started the series.
Preview Book Four, The Visitor on the author's website.

No comments: