Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Kingdom – Amanda Stevens

“He extended his hand, and I thought at first he meant to introduce himself, but instead he uncurled his fingers, and I saw my necklace coiled in his palm."

This is the second book in the Graveyard Queen series, following The Restorer (and there’s also the prequel, The Abandoned).

Amelia, graveyard queen, is summoned to South Carolina, Asher Falls, to restore a wealthy family’s graveyard. There’s another graveyard in town which is completely underwater due to flooding, and this is not the only strange thing about Asher Falls....  With a beautiful landscape, history, and a man who’s seductive (and possibly untrustworthy...), and a strange and evil force amidst - Asher Falls captivates Amelia.  She feels she’s been brought here for a reason.  What she discovers about the place and herself is beyond her wildest imagination or nightmare.

I found The Kingdom to be less frightening than The Restorer, but more intriguing in many ways – especially the characters! I felt like I was in a game of Clue, where the storyline was not predictable and the characters, so sinister! I loved the town’s landscape and cemetery – especially the creatures who roam about the forest and graveyard.  The cover was the least appealing to me of all the novels, until I noticed the statue's hand – so Asher Falls ;)

I have to mention (again) when I’m reading these novels I really do feel a deeper connection and understanding to and of the otherworld. I don’t know what it is, but it’s there every time, and as I read through the pages, I’m absorbing something. That’s why I like them so much!

The Kingdom ended on a suspenseful and romantic note, and I am excited to find out what will happen when Amelia returns to Charleston in The Prophet

No comments: